Enroll Now

Cover your personal
property and liability.

Have you ever thought about how much the stuff in your apartment or dorm is worth? If you lost it all, would you and your family be able to afford to replace it? Renters Insurance protects you from property losses and damages, as well as liability risks, like if someone slips and falls in your apartment.

Help protect yourself with Renters Insurance.

Why Renters Insurance from GradGuard™?

Renters Insurance from GradGuard™ is an ideal option for college students and young adults looking for personal property and liability protection from one product. GradGuard™'s Renters Insurance offers world wide coverage for your property with replacement cost, which ensures that you will be able to replace your belongings, not just what your old ones were worth. Plus, your electronics, such as your phone and tablet, are covered up to the property policy limits. With deductibles starting at just $100 and our monthly payment plan, Renters Insurance from GradGuard™ is relevant, flexible and easy to afford.

What's covered by Renters Insurance?

Your Personal Property:
  • Personal computer
  • Wallet or purse and the cash in it*
  • Bicycle
  • Television or stereo system
  • Cell phone or PDA, like an Android or iPhone
  • Books and school supplies
  • Clothes
  • Jewelry*
  • Musical instruments
  • And more...
  • Property damage or bodily injury uninlarge-10tionally caused where you are found legally liable
Covered Perils:
  • Fire & lightning
  • Windstorm & hail
  • Explosion
  • Riot or civil commotion
  • Aircraft
  • Vehicles
  • Smoke
  • Vandalism or malicious mischief
  • Burglary
  • Breakage of glass
  • Falling objects
  • Weight of ice, snow or sleet
  • And more...

How much coverage can I get?

  • Some Coverage
  • $5,000 contents Coverage
  • $25,000 Liability Coverage
  • $100 Deductible
  • Start Your Enrollment
  • More Coverage
  • $10,000 contents Coverage
  • $50,000 Liability Coverage
  • $100 Deductible
  • Start Your Enrollment
  • Most Coverage
  • $25,000 contents Coverage
  • $100,000 Liability Coverage
  • $100 Deductible
  • Start Your Enrollment

Frequently asked questions.

Is my property covered throughout the world?

Yes. We cover your property in your dorm room, off-campus apartment or anywhere in the world.

Why should I purchase a policy?

Renters insurance helps you protect your property from damages and losses while renting your residence as well as instances for which you may be legally liable. It may be too expensive for you to replace your belongings or repair damages caused to your rental residence. Renters insurance can help you pay for those costs.

Our policy is a month term policy providing you the flexibility to enroll and cancel on a monthly basis. You can purchase a liability only policy, a property only policy or both. We recommend that you purchase a policy with property and liability providing you comprehensive coverage and peace of mind.

What limits can I purchase?

Property protection with replacement cost starts at $5,000 with deductibles as low as $100. Liability protection is available from $25,000 to $300,000. For additional purchase options, please call 1-877-556-3984

What is covered with my property coverage?

Personal belongings include but are not limited to clothes, furniture, computers, textbooks, smart phones, and bikes. Your laptop, Xbox, speakers and mini fridge will be covered, should you need to replace these dorm room essentials. These items are covered against fire, lighlarge-10ing, smoke, burglary, theft, freezing rain, windstorm, hail, and more. Flood, earthquake and sewer & drain are an option where available.

What is covered with my liability coverage?

Covers damages for bodily injury or property damage caused by an occurrence covered by this policy for which a student or young adult becomes legally liable. For example, if someone slips and injures themselves in your apartment, or you burn the wall of your dorm while making dinner, the resulting costs will be covered.

What is replacement cost?

Replacement cost provides coverage to replace the item with like kind and quality versus actual cash value which provides payment for the depreciated value of the item.

How can I enroll in Renters Insurance?

We have a few simple questions to ask in order for a policy to be issued. You can enroll online at GradGuard.com or by calling 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX. Payment can be made via credit card or EFT.

What if I need assistance enrolling?

If you have any questions or need assistance, we can be contacted at 1-877-556-3984.

How do I know if I am eligible for this plan?

Renters Insurance is a guaranteed issue* product that has minimal questions.

*Some restrictions apply in the state of North Carolina.

Does a parent's homeowner policy cover a student's property?

The devil is in the details. This is why GradGuard is here to help. Many homeowner policies will have you covered usually at a much higher deductible, but there are a number of restrictions to consider for students away at school. You are best to carefully review the policy terms, including coverage and deductibles, of the parent's policy before making any conclusions about coverage.

I'm a parent. Can I purchase a policy for my student?

Yes. Parents can purchase a policy.

How do I make a claim?

Claims should be reported as soon as possible to Markel American Insurance Company. They can be contacted by email at maicclaims@markelcorp.com, online at markelamerican.com, phone 800-236-3113 or mail P.O. Box 906, Pewaukee WI 53072-0906.

Can I cancel my policy?

Yes, a policy can be cancelled at the end of the monthly policy term. You need to notify us at GradGuard.com/renters-insurance/enroll.

How do I change my coverage or my address?

You can request coverage changes or change of address at account.gradguard.com self-service or by calling 1-877-556-3984. All changes will take effect on the next month's policy effective date.

Who underwrites Renters Insurance?

Markel American Insurance Company, N14 W23800 Stone Ridge Drive,
Waukesha, WI 53188.
The company is rated "A Excellent" by AM Best.

What's not included?

Renters insurance may not include losses resulting from war, nuclear hazards, illegal acts, pollutants, mold, motor vehicles, pets, earthquakes and floods in certain areas, among others. Certain coverages may also feature limits. For a complete list of exclusions, limits and terms, please see the policy.

How is theft defined in the policy?

Theft is included under this policy and "means the physical removal of an object that is capable of being stolen without the consent of the owner and with the intention of depriving the owner of it permanently."

Start Your Enrollment

*A special limit applies to this item. Please call to speak with an agent for policy specific information.

Renters Insurance is underwritten by Markel American Insurance Company, Waukesha, WI. The advertised product is not available in AK, CT, FL, and RI. Other program options are available for these states. Claims and coverage subject to policy, language, limits and exclusions.

GradGuard Disclaimer:
This website does not constitute an offer. The content on this website is subject to policy language.

How much coverage do I need?

How much is the stuff in your room worth? You may have more in your dorm or off campus apartment than you think. Use our calculator to help estimate the total value of everything you have with you to help determine whether you can afford to replace your belongings or should consider a renters insurance policy.

Item Estimated Value
Cell Phone
Sports Equipment
Jewelry / Watches
Add $1,000 for additional items $1,000
Total $0*

If your stuff was damaged in a fire or stolen, could you replace that cost out of pocket?

*This dollar amount is provided only for illustrative purposes and should not be used as insurance advice. For specific insurance advise related to your personal financial situation, please consult a licensed insurance professional.